“Boasting is the response of pride to success. Boasting: ‘I deserve praise because I’ve achieved so much’” (John Piper). Since boasting is the response of pride to success and boasting says, “I deserve praise because I’ve achieved so much,” then we should not be surprised at all when we learn that boasting in our salvation as though we had anything to contribute to it will be excluded. This is what Romans 3:27-30 teaches.
There will be no human pride in the redemption of any sinner because not one single sinner has ever contributed even the smallest iota to his or her salvation. The only thing that we as sinners have achieved is we all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. We have broken God’s Law, we have all turned aside, each one has turned to his own way, and together we have become useless (Romans 3:10-12).
Consider your salvation and see the truth that you have absolutely nothing to boast about in yourself:
1. You were guilty before God and deserving His wrath and condemnation (Romans 3:9-20).
2. You were justified apart from the Law (Romans 3:21) or you could never be saved because you cannot keep the Law.
3. You were justified by faith in Christ (Romans 3:22-23) or you could never be saved because only He could keep the Law and then die a sacrificial death for the Law you have already broken.
4. You were justified as a gift by His grace without any cause in you (Romans 3:24) or else you could never be saved because there is nothing in you that deserves the gift of justification.
5. You were justified by the redemption which is in Christ Jesus (Romans 3:24) because Jesus achieved it all and you achieved nothing.
6. You were justified by God giving you mercy in a legal manner through Christ who upheld the Law in principle through His sinless life and in penalty through His sacrificial death (Romans 3:25) or else you could never be saved because there would be no mercy.
7. You were justified on the basis of your faith in the sinless life, sacrificial death, and supernatural resurrection of Jesus Christ as the only means in which God could remain just in justifying the guilty (Romans 3:26) or else you could never be saved because God will in no wise justify the ungodly in an illegal manner that would cause Him to be unjust.
Where then is boasting (Romans 3:27)? It is excluded! What did you achieve? Nothing! What did you contribute to your salvation? Nothing! What good was there in you that caused you to deserve the gift of justification? None! Where then is boasting? “For consider your calling brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the things which are strong, and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before God” (1 Corinthians 1:26-29). It is excluded!
What did God achieve through Jesus Christ in our redemption? Everything! In whom then should we boast? “But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, so that, just as it is written, ‘Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord’” (1 Corinthians 1:30-31). Who gets the glory? He does (1 Corinthians 1:31)!
Where then is boasting in what you have achieved? Gone! Silenced! Excluded! “For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law" (Romans 3:28).
Where then is boasting in being God’s chosen people? Gone! Silenced! Excluded! “Or is God the God of the Jews only? Is He not the God of the Gentiles also? Yes, of the Gentiles also, since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one” (Romans 3:29-30).
Boasting is excluded for all!